cookie_icon
We use cookies for personalization and statistics. For more information visit our terms of use.
Accept all cookies
Home Search
info@devetakiplateau.org /
Menu Search

Devetaki

Contacts

Диана Василева - кметски наместник на село Деветаки
Т.: 0878 248929

Детелина Карапетрова - Бъчева - председател на читалище "Зора"
Т.: 0878 446301
E.: moiatadetelina@mail.bg

The name of the Devetaki village has given the name of the whole plateau. It is considered to originate from the historical fact that at Roman times there were 9 settlements in the area, which later united into one bigger village. (In Bulgarian, “devet” means ‘nine”.)

In the lands of the village evidences from the past still can be found showing that Thracian and Romans had settled around. The village Devetaki was mentioned for the first time in a Turkish document from 1479 as a feudal estate with 22 families. In the Antiquity there were 14 small settlements in the area, the most important of which was in the Devetaki cave. The Devetaki cave is one of the biggest in Bulgaria. After the union of 9 of these antique villages came the name of the village Devetaki.  

The village lies 21 km Northeast from Lovech, spreading on 3 hills. The Ossam River is about 3 km away. The area is Karst, with many caves and pot-holes. The inhabitants are 180.

Attractions in Devetaki

view all attractions