Devetaki Plateau Association
Devetaki Plateau Association was established in February, 2008. It is a non-for-profit legal entity, uniting the people living in nine villages on the Devetaki Plateau. Following a two-year process of working together in the frames of a project funded by the Balkan Trust for Democracy, the people appreciated the significance of being united, and 69 representatives of the villages and of the three municipalities decided to join their efforts for the enlivening of the region and thus they founded the Association.
The members are farmers, cultural figures, local authorities, young people, retired people, credible NGOs (the Regional Association of Municipalities, the Regional Hospitals Union, and the Regional Tourist Association) and business representatives. This is a real bottom-up organization motivated to work for the sustainable development of the region.
The organizational structure includes: the General Assembly as a supreme body, a 9-member Board of Directors to run the operational tasks, and a Control Committee to see to the proper management of funds.
Some of the members have vast experience in project management in the area of sustainable local development, good governance and citizen participation. They have managed projects funded by various donors – the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, the Balkan Trust for Democracy, the Open Society Institute, the EU Leonardo da Vinci Program, the USAID, etc. Other members of the Association have practice in projects of the municipalities, the cultural centres /chitalista/, NGOs, youth organizations, and schools. The mayors of the three municipalities and of the nine villages are also members of the Association and they support its efforts and activity.
The main objectives and the activities of the organization as set in the By-laws are:
- Unite the efforts of citizens, local authorities, organizations and institutions for the sustainable development of the region of Devetaki Plateau;
- Stimulate the development of outdoor recreation and learning, sustainable tourism and the revival of old crafts and traditions; preservation of cultural heritage;
- Improve the quality of life and the work possibilities in the area of the Devetaki Plateau;
- Promote the region at the national and international level;
- Increase the level of services and information and develop human potential in the area of the Plateau.
- Stimulate democratic government with the participation of citizens and young people in the three municipalities